Specialist house insurance cover for houses in a flood area or deemed to be in an area prone to flooding under the Environment Agency map. Most home policies automatically cover external flood insurance as part of the cover but due to recent weather conditions and large claims made on buildings and contents cover for flood damage many insurers are no longer quoting for areas with previous flooding history or properties that are near water.
Each year the flood map has been increasing steadily in the UK with many areas that were considered to be safe from flooding, now being declared as potential flood risk areas. This has left many homeowners finding flood plain area insurance cover for their property almost impossible. Many home insurance companies are declining to offer any form of cover if your property falls in a flood area.
We have teamed up with a panel of independent insurance brokers that have negotiated special facilities with underwriters and insurers for flood insurance policy. They will assess each risk independently and it may be that a house comes in a flood area but has never flooded and in all likely will never flood because it sits on top of a hill. In other cases they may apply a higher excess or in some extreme cases damage by flooding may be excluded but other perils such as theft, subsidence, fire etc will still be covered.
If you know your home is in a flood area, there are some precautions that you can take when the weather report for flood warning is announced:
- Homes that may be affected by flooding should make sure the doors and windows are kept shut.
- Homeowners with flood insurance cover should move anything of value from the ground floors to upstairs if possible.
- Place sandbags around external doorways and if possible also around the perimeter of the premises.
- It is always important to prepare some form of a short term emergency pack containing essential items such as fresh water, food, blankets, torches, first aid kit and warm clothing.
- Property owners with flood risk insurance home policy that are in constant threat of flooding should all know where to turn off electric and gas supplies even in the dark.
- Keep lists of handy contact numbers including Water Company, emergency helpline numbers and the flood home insurance providers claims number.
- If you know that your home is in a severe risk area and the chances of flooding are high then instead of carpets consider other flooring methods, even rugs as these can easily be replaced by the flood insurance company.
- If your house has a basement, consider fitting a pump to help extract the water quickly.
For a cheap flood home insurance quotation simply complete our online flood risk home insurance quote form and an experienced underwriter from a specialist broker panel will contact you back with full cover details.